Sunday, February 24, 2008

Who needs sleep anyway?

The older I get the more I understand that sleep is a luxury not a necessity. Ever since my son was nine months old I haven't had a full night's sleep without an interruption of some sort. It usually involves getting juice for Micah or bath room runs for him at 2 am. It was just something I got used to. Over the last few months, however, there was a ray of hope glistening on the horizon. Micah was drinking less and less juice and waking up less frequently throughout the night. I was so excited at the thoughts of not waking up to hear, "Daddy, I want some juice". About two weeks ago it happened. Micah slept through the night without any juice! I was certain that this would be the beginning of my full night's sleep. Boy was I mistaken. No sooner had we broken Micah from his juice addiction than Mia started waking up for a drink addiction all her own. Psalm 127:2 promises that God gives sleep to those He loves. This leads me to wonder what I've done to get on the naughty list. Maybe one day I'll get to sleep all throughout the night but until then I guess I'll keep on filling sippy cups of juice and water. Besides, who needs sleep anyway?

2 comments:

terrie said...

Wish I could tell you that one night you will fall asleep early and awake whenever you get good and ready (with no interruptions in between) but i have teenagers and it still hasn't happened for me! Oh well...
Love the new blog! love you guys!

Sheri said...

Sleep? What is that? I think I used to know what that word meant. Kalyn has been sleeping soundly through the night since she was about 6 months old and I still get up to check on her, just to make sure she is okay and still there. I don't expect that to ever change. The way I see it is, if sleep is the only thing I have to sacrifice, then I am in good shape. Wishing you some quality rest time. Glad to see your blog! We are so excited to be able to talk everyone !