Sunday, March 2, 2008

When Heaven Is Silent

Have you ever had one of those times when it seemed like all of Heaven was silent? It's usually in these times that you really needed to hear from God isn't it? What do you do when nothing seems to be happening, when the Word of God seems to be quiet and the Holy Spirit seems miles away? I wish I could tell you that these times never happen to true believers, but I would be lying. Some of the darkest, most difficult moments as a Christ follower come when you seem to hear, see, or feel nothing at all. Where is God in all of this? Why the haunting silence from the One you need to hear from the most. While I don't have all of the answers (and I even question sometimes whether I have any answers at all), I do know that God promises that He will never leave us or forsake us. That's comforting to know in these times. It doesn't erase the fact that we question and agonize over these times though. I think it's safe to say that we've all been there, crying out to God only to hear nothing in return. Why would a God who loves us so much be so silent when we need Him the most? These questions aren't random thoughts from someone untouched by the quietness of a great God in difficult moments. These questions are born out of experience (past, present, and I'm sure future), out of a heart longing to know, longing to hear from the One who spoke everything into existence, the voice of the One who spoke and the mountains trembled. I long to hear and know Him, truly know Him. In my moments of frustrated silence I've discovered that it is in these times that God shouts the loudest. Many times we can't hear Him because we don't want to hear what He has to say or because we've convinced ourselves that we've slid so far past where God is and where He is moving and speaking that we miss the times He is speaking directly in our situations. C.S. Lewis says, "God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains; it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." That puts a whole new perspective on the trying times. Maybe I'm glutton for punishment, but if it means going through these times of silence for someone to see God and come to know Him, then I'll sing along with Mercy Me as they declare, "Bring me joy, bring me peace, bring the chance to be free. Bring me anything that brings You glory. And I know there'll be days when this life brings me pain, but if that's what it takes to praise You, Jesus, bring the rain."

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Even though I can't actually "hear" you, it is so good to listen to you. I've missed your sincere insight on any given situation. Miss you terribly!

jewelmcroberts said...

Wow Heath - that CS Lewis quote was amazing! That is exactly what happened to me...in my pain, God SHOUTED at me. Oh boy did I hear Him, and am so thankful I obeyed Him and went to DC, because at this very moment I am holding my Eden! God is GOOD! Thanks for sharing your insightful thoughts!